The widespread canard that the operations of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), in Delta state, assaulted and killed a young man in the state, has been proved erroneous, as the Minister of State, Labour & Employment, Festus Keyamo, SAN, confirmed the incident to newsmen.
Keyamo who said he contacted the victims brother and the state’s Commissioner of Police, to confirm the incident, emphatically opined that those officers involved in the incident are not SARS but ‘Operation Delta Safe’.
He equally confirmed that the victim was not shot as as earlier reported, but fell out of the Police vehicle when being taken to the station after arrest.
Though the brother insisted that the victim was pushed; but the police confirmed otherwise. “He jumped”, said the commissioner.
Keyamo equally seized the opportunity to condemn the extra-judicial killings by SARS and other Police outfits against defenseless citizens, calling for comprehensive reforms and overhaul of the system.
2) All of them said the victim is alive & receiving treatment. Whilst I totally condemn the extra-judicial killings by SARS & other Police outfits against defenseless citizens and call for comprehensive reforms and overhaul of the system, some facts of this case are as follows:— Festus Keyamo, SAN (@fkeyamo) October 4, 2020
3) (a) The outfit involved in this case is called Operation Delta Safe and not SARS (b) the victim was not shot as confirmed by his brother, but fell out of the Police vehicle when being taken to the station after arrest. The brother said he was pushed; the Police said he jumped— Festus Keyamo, SAN (@fkeyamo) October 4, 2020
4) This is a picture of the victim in hospital this morning, showing injuries from the fall (c) the Police stopped to pick him up after the fall, but an angry mob had already gathered and the Police fled and left the victim (d) A Good Samaritan picked him & took him to hospital pic.twitter.com/cjVkLnggHy— Festus Keyamo, SAN (@fkeyamo) October 4, 2020